EWS For Algae
Electro Water Separation™ for Algae (EWS Algae) achieves a smart, continuous flow system that efficiently dewaters and concentrates micro-algae.
EWS Algae™ is available for licensing, and can be incorporated into complete systems, along with upstream and downstream functions such as pelletizing for feed. Turnkey algae harvesting systems, branded Smart Algae Harvester™, are also available for sale by OriginOil.
EWS Algae solves a major barrier to industrial-scale algae production: how to efficiently harvest small algae particles from very large amounts of water.
EWS has been successfully tested on numerous strains of fresh- and salt-water microalgae, including B. braunii, H. pluvialis, Nannochloropsis sp., Tetraselmis sp., Chlorella sp. and Scenedesmus dimorphus.
EWS is validated to effectively remove harmful invaders and pathogens such as bacteria, rotifers, ciliates, protozoa, amoeba and parasites. Request our test results.
How to get EWS Algae
You can put this technology to work in one of two ways:
- Purchase a turnkey algae harvester from OriginOil or one of its distributors.
- License the technology as an OriginOil Equipment Manufacturer.
Astaxanthin: The Most Valuable Algae Product
EWS Algae helps to industrialize the production of astaxanthin by sanitizing and concentrating the Haematococcus pluvialis (HP) algae.
Information is available on other high-value product harvesting, such as Omega3s.
Download Application Note: Astaxanthin.
Need a higher concentration? Add-on devices are optionally available.
An EWS Algae-based system can be located at a central processing area, or in modules at each pond or bio-reactor pod.
When ready for harvesting, the dilute microalgae culture is fed directly from the growth systems into EWS without requiring prior pretreatment or concentration.
The touch-screen PLC (Process Logic Control) is used to precisely aggregate the algae in a substantially intact, stressed or completely ruptured state, as the downstream application may require.
As the raw algae passes through the system, it is subjected to electrical fields generated in two stages:
- First stage: aggregation of algae cells.
- Second stage: extraction of aggregated cells.
For ordering or licensing information, email us at sales (at) originoil.com, or call (323) 939-6645 and press 5.
- "We are a startup company out of Wisconsin, partnered with St. Cloud State University, and we’ve been growing algae for about 4 months now. This harvester is the only one we’ve used, because the University said they’ve gone through many different ones over the past 10 years and they said this is the one to use. So we took their advice and it works great." - Steve Herman, CEO, Sustainability Solutions